Recommendations

Friday, August 31, 2012

Paramedics Swapping Stretchers for Scrubs


What motivates a paramedic to become an RN? For some, it’s the increase in salary. This is an obvious driving force behind many career choices. Paramedics that transition into an RN position will appreciate an increased income of more than $34,000 per year as an RN compared to their pay as a paramedic. For many individuals, this financial security associated with the salary of a nurse is all they need to make the decision to bridge to an RN. 

Take Rick Leone, a paramedic who decided to become an RN and explains “I’ve been a firefighter/paramedic for seven years. I decided to pursue my RN licensure as a good second job. As a firefighter I work 24 hours on and 48 hours off. I thought that since I’m already in the field of dealing in emergency medicine, that I could continue it on my days off and make it at a nurse's rate.“ Aspirations such as investing in their children’s college fund, renovating their house, affording a new car, taking a vacation they’ve always wanted, or securing their future retirement all become more of a reality.

For other paramedics, their drive to become an RN revolves around developing themselves professionally, acquiring advanced skills, and opening other career opportunities. For example, to fit into his active lifestyle, Michael Beilfuss explains, “With my 29 years as a paramedic I’m going to get my RN and work with my wife in emergency rooms as we travel.” Mike porter focused on developing his skills as a healthcare professional, explaining “I work for the fire department as a firefighter/paramedic. Being a paramedic, the nursing side of things is related.  And once I get that RN, I think that the paramedic things I do will help me to be a better nurse.”
What do all three of these paramedics have in common? They all decided to advance themselves and their careers and become RNs, and they all chose to do it with Rue Education. Another paramedic, Doug Reid shares “I’ve been a paramedic for about 18 years. I’ve researched and looked at other products on the market for the same RN program, including some from the colleges, and I feel that Rue products walk me step-by-step, but they also teach me what I need to know to function as an RN.”  Visit Rue Education to get started today!